Night Study by Maria V. Snyder

|
Night Study (Soulfinders, #2)

Synopsis

Ever since being kidnapped from the Illiais Jungle as a child, Yelena Zaltana's has been fraught with peril. But the recent loss of her Soulfinding abilities has endangered her more than ever before. As she desperately searches for a way to reclaim her magic, her enemies are closing in, and neither Ixia nor Sitia are safe for her anymore. Especially since the growing discord between the two countries and the possibility of a war threatens everything Yelena holds dear. 


Valek is determined to protect Yelena, but he's quickly running out of options. The Commander suspects that his loyalties are divided, and he's been keeping secrets from Valek...secrets that put him, Yelena and all their friends in terrible danger. As they uncover the various layers of the Commander's mysterious plans, they realize it's far more sinister that they could have ever imagined. 

Review

First off, I really love the cover of this book - it's gorgeous! I haven't read Soulfinders #1, but I thought it wouldn't matter because Maria always explains what happens in the previous book in a few simple sentences to give readers like me an overview of what happened. 

This book, as usual, is full of twists and turns, surprises everywhere. I especially liked how Valek and Yelena's relationship becomes stronger, and how the party discover the plot that was behind certain things from both Ixia and Sitia. However, the book proceeds at a rather slow pace (which I'm assuming is due to the pre-war set up which requires much explanation to get things clear). And the book ended with a cliffhanger (which I assume is to ensure a smooth transition towards the 3rd book, like a new chapter).

Not the best, but still good enough to score a 4 stars from me.  And did I say I love how the little Valek/Yelena's prospect excites me?

Rating: 4.000

0 creative remarks: